Pony Barn (1891) may have once sheltered many horses and mules used for farming and transportation. Plows, buggies, and carts were pulled and powered by horses. The building is not used today, but plans are to rehabilitate the structure in the near future.
Feed Building (1891) was used to store the feed for the farm animals during the Godding Croft time period and continues to serve the same function today. The building was partly used as a corn crib. The open slats allows air to circulate around the corn that is drying in the crib. Across from this area, the tack (equipment used to harness the horses) is stored.
Hay Barn (1940) is a bit of a mystery, as no records contain reference to its use. However, one of the main objectives of the Godding Croft farm was to produce feed for the livestock on the three farms owned by Saint Elizabeths Hospital. After 1941, due to cutbacks and restructuring, Godding Croft was no longer self sufficient. Hay was acquired from outside sources to supplement supplies. Perhaps, the construction of the hay barn in 1940 correlates with this change in farm output.
Hexagonal Outbuilding (1900), according to historian Dr. Stan Jorgensen, may have been used as a milk house. Designed to remain cool, a milk house is where milk could be handled, cooled and processed. The milk house was kept very clean while the milk sat in shallow pans for about ten hours until the cream rose to the surface. Once the cream had separated, it could be taken to the kitchen to be churned into butter, bottled, or made into cheese.
Silo (1940) was built to store food over winter time for the livestock. This particular silo is made of glazed tiles which was typical material used for constructing utilitarian structures during this period of time.
Last updated: June 11, 2020