Battlefield Land Acquisition Grants (BLAG) enable State and local governments to permanently protection historic battlefield lands through fee simple acquisition or through the purchase of an interest in the land through a preservation covenant. ABPP administers Battlefield Land Acquisition Grants using funds appropriated from the Land and Water Conservation Fund.
BLAG applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The Notice of Funding Opportunity and application materials are available on Grants.gov.
- State and local government entities can apply. Nonprofit organizations often support the applicant in this effort.
- The land must be at least 50% within the boundary of a Revolutionary War, War of 1812 or Civil War battlefield identified in the reports below.
- Lands must be outside the boundaries of any National Park Service legislative boundary.
- The grants require a dollar-for-dollar non-Federal match.
- ABPP will give special thematic priority to applications that preserve and interpret historic sites associated with the American Revolutionary War in advance of the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence in 2026.
Please contact the BLAG team if you have questions or need additional information about eligibility.
BLAGs are authorized by 54 U.S.C. §308103 and 54 U.S.C. §200305
Revolutionary War & War of 1812 Study
Find eligible Rev. War and War 1812 battlefields
Nation's Civil War Battlefields Report
Find eligible Civil War battlefields
Download geospatial data to find battlefield boundaries
National Park Service Boundaries
Explore park boundaries data
Learn more about how to apply to BLAGs
Last updated: June 3, 2022