Contact: Barb Maynes, 360-565-3005
The historic Elwha Ranger Station will close this week for the remainder of the summer to allow interior upgrades, an upgraded and accessible public restroom and accessible entry ramps into the building. The work will be completed by park staff and is estimated to take several months.
While the ranger station is closed, public restrooms will continue to be available in the Elwha Campground. Rangers will be on patrol throughout the valley and will work out of a temporary office while the ranger station is under renovation.
"This project is made possible through visitor entrance and recreation fees, and will improve both access and efficiency at the Elwha Ranger Station, while preserving its historic character for the future," said Olympic National Park Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum.
The project will provide accessible parking and entry into both the visitor contact area and the restroom. In addition, the plumbing and electrical systems are outdated and inefficient and will be modernized and upgraded to current standards.
The Elwha Ranger Station was built by U.S. Forest Service employees in 1932, six years before the establishment of Olympic National Park. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Properties as part of the Elwha Ranger Station Historic District constructed by U.S. Forest Service personnel and members of the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1932 and 1936.
Visitor use facilities now open in the Elwha Valley include the Elwha Campground and the new Glines Canyon Spillway Overlook, and the Madison Falls Trail. The Olympic Hot Springs Road is open. The Whiskey Bend Road is closed to vehicles at its intersection with the Olympic Hot Springs Road, and remains open for stock, bicycle and foot travel. The Altair Campground remains closed due to last winter's flood and storm damage.
Last updated: July 17, 2015