The Logan Log House at Ninety Six National Histoirc Site was originally built as an early settler cabin. the cabin is the oldest house in Greenwood County. It was built during the 18th century, possibly by Andrew Logan. Later the cabin was bought by William Blake after Logan's death. Blake owned the cabin from 1795 to 1875 when he died. After Blake's death the cebin was bought by W.J. Wells. The Wells Family lived in the cabin for 82 years.1
Over the decades the original cabin had new sections added to it. By 1967, when the house was owned by Mrs. Thomason the original cabin had been enclosed in a modern home. The cabin was revealed during demonlition of the modern home.2
The cabin was saved from demolition and preserved by the Greenwood Historical Society. It was moved to Lander University in 1967. In 1971 the cabin was moved form Lander University to the site that would become Ninety Six National Historic Site.3
The cabin was first used as the visitor center. Later the cabin was named Black Swan Tavern for the park's living history porgrams and is still being used in that way. The cabin is set up like a tavern with tables and chairs on the main floor. Here, especially during living history programs one can imagine early settlers passing by coming here looking for food, drink, local news, and a place to sleep. Taverns were used as local meeting places where men could have social gatherings.
The Black Swan Tavern was orgianlly built as a home for early settlers. Throughtout the decades it fulfilled that purpose and was added on to, so that bigger families could live inside it. Now the cabin is a portal to antother time and lifestyle for visitors who come to Nienty Six.
1 Margaret Watson, Greenwood County Sketches; Old Roads and Early Families, 156-157.
2 “Index Journal”, Greenwood, SC. Dec 8, 1966.
3 “Index Journal”, Greenwood, SC. Jan 19, 1967.
Last updated: June 6, 2021