The general store owned and operated by Lewis and Margaret Watson opened for business in 1910 and remained in operation until the mid 1960s. Despite the decline in business as the economy of the Clearwater Valley changed, they served the local Nez Perce community, providing goods and services until the Watsons sold their store in 1965.
When Lewis Watson opened his store for business in May 1911, it coincided with a reduction in Nez Perce land within the reservation. In 1887, Congress passed the Dawes General Allotment Act that divided the reservation into individual family farms. Unallotted land was declared surplus, resulting in a land boom.