Jefferson Memorial Seawall
Schedule: Construction underway Completion anticipated June 2011
Location:Tidal Basin Seawall and plaza north side of the Jefferson Memorial
Goals of project:
• Remove 500 feet of existing seawall .
• Remove original pilings, installed in the 1930’s, which were not placed on bedrock and which suddenly sank nine inches in 2009.
• Install new pilings to bedrock, build new seawall on those pilings, and re-install original facing stones on wall.
• Repair plaza adjacent to the wall.
Impacts/opportunities for visitor to consider:
• Plaza adjacent to seawall closed to public, but upper plaza and steps with view across the Tidal Basin remain open to the public.
• Construction activity adjacent to memorial may be dusty and/or noisy
Funding: ARRA funding, $12.7 M
Contractor: Clark Construction, Inc.