Examples of permitted activities include:
- commercial filming & photography
- First Amendment events
- memorialization (scattering of ashes)
- other special events
Non-refundable Application Fee
The non-refundable application fee must accompany each application. This fee is based on an average time it takes to provide initial contact and consultation with permittees and initial review of a standard application or project. The non-refundable application fees are:
- Weddings -$55
- Memorialization - $55
- Special Events - $100
- Filming and Photography - $100
Once a request is approved, this fee covers the costs associated with issuing a standard permit. This fee includes, but is not limited to, the average time it takes for processing fees, permit development, consultations with the permittee, managerial consultations and billing. Administrative Fees are as follows:
- Weddings - $130
- Memorialization - $30
- Special Events - $180
- Filming and Photography - $180
Hourly Management Fee
A $50 per hour rate applies under the following situations:
(1) Monitoring – All activities authorized by permit require continuous, on-site supervision by the National Park Service to assure full compliance with all conditions of the permit. A minimum of 2 hours monitoring ($100) is applied to the cost of every permit upon issuance. The scope and complexity of the activity will determine the level and type of supervision. Fees include travel time for employees involved between activity location(s) and employee duty station(s).
(2) Interviews- All interviews of park personnel will be assessed at the hourly rate. This will not apply to pre-approved filming or photographing of NPS staff members performing their regularly scheduled work activities.
(3) Scouting– If a permittee requests a scouting trip with or by the Filming Permits Coordinator; staff time will be assessed at a rate of $40 per hour if on regular duty time, $50 per hour if it’s overtime.
Extended Administrative Time
Any requests that involve multiple locations, complex logistics, coordination with other NPS divisions or additional environmental compliance, or any permit that requires additional staff time beyond the averages in the initial costs will be charged an additional $50 per hour per employee that is needed in order to complete the permit.
If you are a commercial outfitter or tour group leading guided trips into the park, you must obtain a Commercial Use Authorization.
If you are not sure that your event requires a permit or have other questions, contact:
Special Use Coordinator
National Park Service
2282 SW Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532
435 719-2121 phone
435 719-2300 fax