Tuskegee, Alabama, became the focal point for the training of African-American military pilots during World War II. Tuskegee Institute contracted with the military and provided primary flight training while the army built a separate, segregated base, Tuskegee Army Air Field (also known as the Advanced Flying School) for advanced training. Support personnel were trained at Chanute Field in Illinois.
The first class, which included student officer Capt. Benjamin O. Davis, Jr., began training on July 19, 1941. Rigorous training in subjects such as meteorology, navigation, and instruments was provided in ground school.
Successful cadets then transferred to the segregated Tuskegee Army Air Field to complete Army Air Corps pilot training. The Air Corps oversaw training at Tuskegee Institute and provided aircraft, textbooks, flying clothes, parachutes, and mechanic suits. Tuskegee Institute provided full facilities for the aircraft and personnel.