Round gold badge with National Park Service Department of the Interior around the rim and an eagle looking to its left in the middle.

Badge Worn by Directors and Assistant Directors (1921 – 1928) and Superintendents (1936 – 1960)

1921 – 1960

Arguments against officers wearing the ranger badge led to the creation of a new round badge, consisting of the coined center of the ranger badge, without the park ranger designation. Directors and assistant directors wore the round gold badge until 1928. It was brought back into use in 1936 for superintendents and custodians.

Gold-filled metal. Dia 3.1 cm, T 0.7 cm
NPS History Collection, HFCA 1958