Preservation and Stabilization of the Thomas Farm Blacksmith Shop Ruins

Excavations at blacksmith shop
Excavations at blacksmith shop

Historic references indicate that a blacksmith shop was in operation at the Thomas Farm by the 19th century; it is mentioned in several historic references, including an 1856 advertisement in the Frederick Examiner. The Thomas Farm blacksmith shop was a stone structure measuring 16 by 35 feet, and is located along an early road trace to the rear of the Thomas House.

Archeological excavations were undertaken at the ruins of the blacksmith shop in 2007, and helped refine the original footprint and layout of the building, including an interior partition wall and a 12-foot door opening. The remains of the brick forge were also recovered, along with a wide variety of artifacts.

Masons work on blacksmith shop
Masons work on blacksmith shop

In spring 2008, stone masons stabilized and repointed extant wall segments to prevent further deterioration. In addition, sections of wall that were identified archeologically were rebuilt so that they are visible above-grade, visually delineating the original footprint of the blacksmith shop. Completion of this project will help prevent further deterioration of the ruins, and will also help preserve the site for future researchers.

Preservation and stabilization of the Thomas Farm blacksmith shop was performed by the National Park Service's Historic Preservation Training Center (HPTC). HPTC is headquartered at Monocacy National Battlefield in the historic Gambrill House.


Last updated: April 10, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

4632 Araby Church Road
Frederick, MD 21704


(301) 662-3515
Visitor Center Phone Number

Contact Us