Ranching in Mojave National Preserve

A fence made of old wooden posts assembled close together. In the background, volcanoes and joshua trees are visible.
Dozens of corrals are still located throughout the Mojave National Preserve. Most are now used as prized primitive camping locations. Notice the rock fire ring inside this corral between Cima Road and the Volcano Field.

NPS Photo

As miners began to occupy the region in the late 1800s, cattle ranchers followed close behind. Soon, ranching turned into a legitimate and very profitable business.

By 1894, the Rock Springs Land and Cattle Company (which locals called the "88") is said to have supported 10,000 head of cattle. It was the second largest cattle ranching operation in California, which is remarkable when one considers the rugged desert terrain that the cattle were grazing in. The ranchers were able to develop innovative water allotment systems to widely distribute water resources from just a couple natural springs. The cows were allowed to roam free throughout the desert, and when it was time to send them off to markets, cowboys on horseback would track them down and gather them up at corrals. There were dozens of corrals built throughout the Mojave National Preserve for this purpose, mostly near natural water sources. Many of these corrals are still standing today.

During the 1920s, drought and new governmental legislation made ranching less profitable, and the 88 split up into many smaller ranches (including the OX, Walking Box, Kessler Springs, and Valley View). There is still active cattle ranching in the Mojave National Preserve today.

Last updated: December 21, 2020

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

2701 Barstow Road
Barstow , CA 92311

Phone:

(760) 252-6100
For emergencies including vehicle breakdowns, dial 911

Contact Us

Stay Connected