Film & Photography Permits

Filming permits are issued on an individual basis based on the size of the project (movie, commercial, etc.), how much staff is needed for supervision, and how much time will be involved. A permit is required when the filming, videotaping, sound recording or still photography involve the use of talent, professional crews, set dressing, or props; when they involve product or service advertisement;or when the activity could result in damage to park resources or disruption of visitor use. Generally, permits are not issued for filming on weekends or holidays.

It is the policy of the National Park Service (NPS) to allow filming and photography when it is consistent with the protection and public enjoyment of park resources, and avoids conflict with the public's normal use and enjoyment of the park. We are also sensitive to the environments around our park.

Media: Breaking News
Breaking news is an event that cannot be covered at any other time or at any other location. Coverage of breaking news does not require a permit.

Other Media
Frequently there are opportunities for news organizations to focus on park programs, or increase public awareness of park-specific issues. Filming related to these stories must be coordinated and planned in advance and do require a permit.

School media projects, independent films, documentaries, and feature films require a film permit.

Still Photography

  • Photography does not require a permit if it involves only hand-held equipment (tripod, interchangeable lenses or flash), and does not involve professional crews, product or service advertisement, or use of models, props or sets. A still photography permit is required when:· Product or service advertisement is involved· Talent/models, props, crews or sets are involved· More than just hand carried equipment is utilized

Commercial filming permits also require the payment of a location fee (see the table below).

Motion Pictures/Videos

Commercial Still Photography

1-2 people, camera & tripod only $0/day 1-2 people, camera &tripod only $0/day

1 - 10 people


1 - 10 people


11 - 30 people


11 - 30 people


31 - 49 people


Over 30 people


Over 50 people


Application for Filming Permits

For your request to be considered, please print and comple one of the forms below and mail or fax it to the park along with the appropriate application fee. All film and photography permit applications require a one hundred dollar ($100.00), non-refundable fee that does not guarantee permit approval. Other potential charges include, but are not limited to monitoring by Rangers, clean-up and site restoration, and recovery of administrative costs. You may also be required to post a performance bond.

Please allow a fourteen day minimum for consideration of your permit request; first amendment requests allow two business days. The permit application fee and other charges can be paid by check or through e-bill (Debit or credit card, Bank account (ACH), Amazon account, or PayPal account).

10-931 Filming Permit (Short)
10-932 Filming Permit (Long)

Mail completed applications to:

Special Use Permits Coordinator
Minuteman Missile National Historic Site
24545 Cottonwood Road
Philip, SD 57567

or send by fax to 605 433-5239

Last updated: October 3, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

24545 Cottonwood Road
Philip, SD 57567


(605) 433-5552

Contact Us