- Ranger-led tours and programs are offered at Manzanar by reservation only.
- Programs, parking, and site entry are free.
- Max group size is 30 people per available ranger. Groups larger than 30 may be split between rangers.
- Tours and talks may be combined upon request but max tour length is 2 hours. You may explore on your own before and/or after your tour. See our Things to Do page for more information.
- Reservations are subject to ranger availability and not all requests can be accommodated.
- Groups must include one adult for every 15 visitors under 18 years of age.
Reserving a Program
Programs must be requested at least a month in advance. Completely fill out our Reservation Request Form and e-mail it to the address at the top of the form.
- Be sure to bring proper footwear, hat, and sunscreen.
- Dress in layers to prepare for changing weather.
- Bring a water bottle and drink water throughout your visit. A water bottle filling station is available in the visitor center.
Tours and Talks
- Block 14 Tour (Outdoor): learn what daily life was like in Manzanar. Tour includes a visit to two replica barracks, a latrine, a mess hall, and other features of Block 14. Tour usually lasts 60-90 minutes.
- Step-on Bus Tour (Outdoor): have a park ranger join your group on your bus and tour the site via the 3.2 mile long driving tour road. Most tours stop at the cemetery and Merritt Park. Tour usually lasts one hour.
- Scale Model Talk (Indoor): this talk is an orientation to the site using a large scale model of Manzanar circa 1944. This is mostly informational and sets the scene for what the camp would have looked like during WWII. Talk usually lasts 30 minutes.
- Movie Talk (Indoor): our award winning introductory film lasts 22 minutes. A ranger can provide an introduction to the film, then answer questions or lead a discussion afterwards. Usually lasts 30-45 minutes, including the film.
- Discussion Option: for those already versed in the framework of the incarceration story, groups can ask to add a discussion option to any tour or talk above. The topic(s) can be chosen based on the group’s interests. The amount of time needed for this additional discussion will depend on the topic and group.
If you have a specific interest, please let us know and will we try to accommodate your group!
If a Tour is Not Available
If we are not able to accommodate your request for a ranger-led program, please know that Manzanar is set up to be self-guided and does not require a guided tour to have an impactful experience. Consider the following options for your visit: