This room has been the formal entry since the mansion was constructed in 1759. The large front door opens onto sandstone steps and a path toward Brattle Street to the south. Doors on either side open into the parlor and study.
The addition in the 1790s of a carriage circle and west side entry provided a second entry for family and guests; the Longfellows appear to have used both entrances. When the Longfellow House Trust began offering regular house tours in the mid-twentieth century, the public commonly came in through the front door. The door is no longer used as an entrance today.