The Dante Society of America
Henry W. Longfellow formed the Dante Club in the 1860s with friends James Russell Lowell and Charles Eliot Norton, along with occasional others, as an informal group to aid him in his project to translate Dante's Divine Comedy. The members met at Longfellow's house on Brattle Street to discuss Henry's translations, and to dine and socialize.
Upon publication of Longfellow's translation in 1867, the club moved to Charles Eliot Norton's house where Norton's work on translating Dante's La Vita Nuova was discussed. In 1881 the club became the Dante Society of America, with Henry W. Longfellow serving as its first president. The Dante Society of America continues to advance the study of Dante Alighieri's works today. The Society officially resides at Harvard University, and its reference library is held at the Longfellow House - Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site. To learn more about the Dante Society of America's activities and programs, click here to visit their web site.