Hailing from the grand duchy of Luxembourg, Peter and Anna Maria (Plum) Dimmer moved their family to the United States around 1845. After settling in Fredonia, Wisconsin, where more children were born, the Dimmers moved their household to Keweenaw County.
In Eagle Harbor Township Peter Dimmer and son William worked as carpenters. Anna Maria assisted daughter-in-law Mary (Mehrens) with household duties and spent time with her grandchildren. The family was living at the Copper Falls Mine when Anna passed away at the age of 66 in 1881. After Peter's death in 1883, their children erected distinctive markers at their plot in Eagle Harbor's Pine Grove Cemetery.