Most visitors do not need a reservation to tour the site. Please call to make reservations for large groups, field trips, special events, or permits: (925)228-8860 x0
Large Group or School Group ToursWe love to share our knowledge and the history of John Muir and this historic park site. If you are bringing a large group and would like a guided tour by one of our rangers, please allow for a two-week advance notice. Teachers need to contact the visitor center in order to reserve an education program for their class, and can find more information on the "Education" page of our website. Scheduling in advance helps us to keep your National Park staffed safely and appropriately.
Special use Permits (Our Park)
Application Requirements for Special Use Permits within the John Muir National Historic Site can be obtained by downloading the documents in the link, below.
General Guidelines for Permitted Events at John Muir National Historic Site:
2. Weddings or other events in the Muir House are limited to 20 participants.
3. The Site does not allow receptions.
4. Un-amplified music is permitted within reason, so please indicate what you are proposing. Loudspeakers, bullhorns are not allowed.
5. The use of rice or birdseed at weddings is prohibited.
6. No area of the Site may be reserved for the exclusive use of the special event. Supplies, equipment or individuals may block no passage or doorway. Blocking of trails, steps, entry and doorways are not permitted. For this reason, weddings or other events on the Muir House front porch and front lawn are not permitted.
7. No cooking or fires are allowed on site.
8. No artifacts or furnishings may be used or moved.
9. Permittee insures that all garbage and litter is picked up and removed from the Site prior to leaving.
Last updated: January 27, 2022