The Magnolia Tribute Garden, on the south side of Locust between 4th and 5th Streets, was donated by the Garden Club of America in honor of the founders of our nation, and dedicated in May 1959. George Washington's expressed interest in magnolia trees inspired this garden. Around its walled perimeter are 13 early spring blooming hybrid magnolias suitable for northern climates. They represent the 13 original colonies. Enclosed by wrought iron fences and gates, the plantings include Saucer Magnolias, Narcissus Snow Azaleas, English Oak, Honey Locusts, Cotoneasters, and a ground cover of English Ivy.