Permits & Reservations

Special Use Permits

Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material, other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your usage might be included.

A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that: Provides a benefit to an inidividual, group, or organization rather than the public at large; Requires written authorization and some management by the park in order to protect park resources and the public interest; Is not prohibitied by law or regulation; And is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the park.

Activities that require a Special Use Permit

  • Weddings and commitment ceremonies
  • Sporting events as organized walks
  • Trips organized by scouting groups, non-profit organizations
  • Filming (ANY non-amateur work, including public television and other government entities)
  • Photography (for publications or retail)
  • Any after-hours use

When in doubt, it is best to apply for a special use permit.

To request a Special Use Permit (Application)

The permit application must be requested at least 30 days in advance of the planned activity. Requests will be reviewed by park staff for any monitoring that may be required or disturbance that might occur. A non-refundable application fee of $100.00 is required and most events require certificate of liability insurance ($1,000,000 per occurrence/$2,000,000 aggregate underwritten by a United States company naming the United States of America as additional insured).

Application Request must include:

  • Who is requesting the permit? Name, address and telephone number of the permittee (if the permit is for more than one person, this person is responsible for the behavior and compliance of the entire group. Names for everyone in the group may be required.)
  • What is the nature of the proposed activity?
  • Why is it being conducted? (purpose)
  • When the activity will take place? (Include dates and time of the day.)
  • Where the activity will take place? (as specific as possible: campground, back patio, at overlook, etc.)
  • How the activity will be conducted? (methods, equipment and vehicles)

Please attach a summary and itinerary of the event. The more information the park has, the easier your application process will be.



Last updated: June 7, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site
P.O. Box 150

Ganado, AZ 86505-0150


(928) 755-3475

Contact Us