VOLUNTEERING AT HUBBELL TRADING POST NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
Would you like to volunteer at Hubbell Trading Post NHS? We have several openings for dedicated staff willing to commit 32 hours a week for a minimum of two months. See below for descriptions of some of the volunteer activities currently available.
We provide a volunteer uniform, a park orientation and hands on training. Volunteers can choose to stay at the RV pad with full hookups or in shared quarters with other volunteers or researchers in the park. Schedules may include working weekends and holidays but we are flexible to accomodate your interests.
Interested? Complete this Volunteer Application and return it to the VIP Coordinator in the park.
MUSEUM WORK / CURATION
We are seeking volunteers to assist the park staff with a variety of museum activities. The volunteer will work with the museum curator in the museum storage facility, the furnished Hubbell family home, the trading post, and occasionally in the park visitor center
Useful skills for this position include digital photography, computer software skills (Windows operating systems), interest in protecting historic artifacts, working independently and on a team, and English and Navajo language skills.
The volunteers’ specific duties include, but are not limited to the following tasks.
- Inventorying cataloged museum objects
- Cataloging museum objects
- Cleaning furnished historic buildings (vacuuming, dusting, windows)
- Working with a computer database (ANCS- Re-Discovery Software)
- Organize artifacts in museum storage
- Digitally photograph and/or scan cataloged objects, modify image (PhotoShop) and link to catalog record.
- May occasionally assist in park visitor center and provide tours.