Pets are welcome to visit Hopewell Furnace NHS with some restrictions. Walking animals along the park's roadways and trails is a favorite activity for many owners. Exposure to unfamiliar people, surroundings, wildlife and domesticated farm animals can cause unusual or even aggressive behavior in some pets. To provide for the safety and enjoyment of pets, owners and fellow visitors, the pet owner must comply with the following rules when visiting Hopewell Furnace with their animals:
- Pets must be on leash and under control at all times when outside their owner's vehicle. Leaving pets unattended and/or tied to any object is prohibited.
- Pets are allowed in all outdoor areas of the park open to the public.
- Pets are not allowed inside any public use buildings. Only service dogs accompanying visually impaired persons, hearing ear dogs accompanying hearing impaired persons, medical alert dogs, mobility, therapy or emotional support dogs are permitted to enter park buildings with their owners.
- Dogs in training to become certified service dogs are allowed inside buildings with their owners or trainers.
- Owners are responsible for removing any pet excrement left by their animals in the following areas: parking lot and sidewalk areas, visitor center area, exhibit areas, picnic area, Orchard area, Historic Complex area, all trails, trace roads and other areas with public use.
- Owners are responsible for their pet's care and conduct while on park grounds.