When Alexander Hamilton lived in Harlem, it was a quiet, rural neighborhood. As settlement in New York continued to expand from the southern tip of Manhattan Island to the north, roads had to be extended to accommodate the population growth. In 1889, a real estate developer saved The Grange from being destroyed to make way for 143rd Street. The building was donated to St. Luke's Episcopal Church and was moved a block away to Convent Avenue at 142nd Street, to be near the future site of the congregation's new place of worship. By the time that the National Park Service acquired The Grange in 1962, the building had been sandwiched between St. Luke's Church and an apartment building. The Park Service agreed to take ownership of The Grange, with the stipulation that it be allowed to move the building to a place where it could be properly restored. In 2008, the building was moved to its current location on 141st Street, a project which involved lifting it 30 feet into the air over a portion of the church.
Learn more about Alexander Hamilton's Harlem and how the neighborhood has changed over time:
Hamilton Grange... At Home in Harlem (439 KB PDF)