|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Clara Barton National Historic Site will change its operating hours and public tour schedule beginning Feb. 17, 2015. The house will be open for public tours on weekends and for pre-arranged groups on Wednesdays and Thursdays. It will be closed all other times.
Tours will be offered for the general public on the following schedule:Saturdays at 11 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. and Sundays at 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.Tours for groups may be scheduled in advance for Wednesdays or Thursdays by calling (301)320-1410.
Reducing public hours by one day per week will allow the staff to prepare the house for a substantial rehabilitation project. The project will help preserve the historic house and museum collections by replacing the failing metal roof and improving the fire suppression system.
For safe keeping, the museum collection and historic furnishings were temporarily moved in Oct. 2014 to the National Park Service's Museum Resource Center in Landover, Md.
For updates on construction and additional information about Clara Barton and her work with the early American Red Cross please visit the website at www.nps.gov/clba or call (301)320-1410.