The following rules apply in all national parks:
- Pets must be physically restrained at all times, either in a carrier, cage, or on a leash not to exceed 6 feet in length.
- Pets cannot be left unattended, or tied to an object, at any time unless in a designated area.
- Pet excrement must be collected and disposed of by the owner of the pet.
- Pets are not allowed on any trails or backcountry areas.
- Pets cannot be brought into public buildings, public transportation vehicle, or location designated as a swimming beach, or any area closed to possession by the superintendent. This does not apply to service animals.
- Allowing a pet to make noise that is unreasonable considering location, time of day or night, impact on park users or frightens wildlife by barking, howling, or making other noise is prohibited.
- Pets are not allowed at any Astronomy Program.
In Great Basin National Park, the above rules apply with the following exceptions.
- Leashed pets are allowed on the Lexington Arch Trail.