Commercial Use Authorizations

What is a "Commercial Use Authorization?"
Section 418 of the National Parks Omnibus Management Act of 1998, Public Law 105-391, authorizes the NPS, upon request, to issue commercial use authorizations to persons (referring to individuals, corporations, and other entities) to provide commercial services to park area visitors in limited circumstances.

Commercial Use Authorizations are required of all operators who provide any and all goods, activities, agreements or other services to the general public which take place, at least in part, in the park, uses park resources and are undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization or corporation, whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state or federal law. This includes educational institutions.

CUA Application Package
Great Basin has an open application window from December 18, 2017 through March 31, 2018. Applications recieved after March 31, 2018 may not be considered for business in calendar year 2018.

See some FAQs for CUA applicants Below
What is the term of a CUA?

CUAs are issued for a term of one year.

Is sub-contracting allowed under the authorization?
The National Park Service does not allow sub-contracting under this authorization and authorizations cannot be transferred.

What type of insurance is required before this authorization can be approved?
The CUA must provide commercial liability insurance against claims arising out of or resulting from the acts or omissions of the CUA operator or the CUA operator's employees, agents, or contractors, in carrying out the activities and operations required and/or authorized under the CUA. The CUA Specialist must receive verification of general liability (and transportaion insurance, if applicable) coverage before a CUA can be issued and the coverage must be maintained as current during the term of the authorization.

Obtaining a CUA
A nonrefundable fee must accompany all applications. Make payment payable to the National Park Service. Additional yearly fees will apply. Applications may be mailed, faxed, or emailed. Emailed and faxed applications require a credit card number for payment.

Mail applications to:

Special Uses Coordinator
Great Basin National Park
100 Great Basin National Park
Baker, NV 89311

Applications can be faxed to (775) 234-7590.

For questions about current fee schedules or general information, contact the Special Uses Coordinator by email or by phone at (775) 234-7521.

Last updated: December 18, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Great Basin National Park
100 Great Basin National Park

Baker, NV 89311


(775) 234-7331
Available 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Closed on Federal holidays.

Contact Us