There are certain endeavors better suited to enterprises undertaken in cooperation with government, and our partners fill that need. Great Basin National Park has more to offer visitors' experience thanks to their dedication and willingness to take on the challenge. They help us bring a more complete park experience to our visitors.
Great Basin National Park Foundation
In 2007, the Foundation developed a Strategic Plan that established the following vision:
* Every person who enters into the Great Basin and passes through the region will know where they have been and will understand conceptually what the Great Basin is.
* Future generations will enjoy wide open landscapes, clean air, dark night skies, vigorous and diverse native ecosystems, and thriving local cultures. The Great Basin is enjoyed for its space, silence, and solitude and given protection on par with its diverse and unique natural and cultural resources.
* Great Basin National Park will be a recognized jewel of the national park system, with ample opportunities for volunteering and citizen involvement, healthy and sustainable native ecosystems, improved visitor facilities, and an expanded access to more remote areas of the park and its spectacular backcountry.
* Knowledge and appreciation of the Great Basin's natural and cultural resources - including, but not limited to the Park- will be integrated in a cross-disciplinary approach into Nevada and Utah's elementary and high school curriculums.
* Increased interest in the Park and the region will support the tourism industry and tourism infrastructure will improve in Baker and other local communities, offering visitors more and better options and improving their overall Great Basin experience.
The Foundation is currently working on several projects in support of the park, including "greening" the park's vehicle fleet and developing education and internship programs in partnership with area universities.
To learn more about the Foundation, current projects, and opportunities for making financial or in-kind contributions, please visit us at www.greatbasinfoundation.org.
There is a wealth of information and sites to see just waiting for the Heritage Area to help give them expression. For more information, find them on the web at www.greatbasinheritage.org
Last updated: February 28, 2015