Gloria Dei in 18th and 19th Centuries

In 1845, Gloria Dei joined the Diocese of Pennsylvania of the Episcopal Church, and has so remained to the present day. Prior to this the Sexton's house, and the present rectory were constructed. After 1845, the interior was extremely renovated, and balconies were added to accommodate larger crowds. Dr. John Craig Roak, Gloria Dei's rector from 1933 to 1972, helped to ensure the preservation of the church. Largely because of his efforts Gloria Dei was indeed, established as a National Historic Site in 1942.

Last updated: February 26, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

c/o Independence National Historical Park
143 S. Third Street

Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone:

(215) 389-1513

Contact Us