Lydia Leister House 3D Tour

The Lydia Leister house is where Union General George G. Meade made his headquarters during the Battle of Gettysburg. Late in the evening of July 2, Meade held a council of war in this house to decide if the Union army should stay and hold their hard-fought high ground or abandon their position. The council of war decided to stay. Late in the afternoon of July 3, Confederate batteries concentrated their missiles on the center of Cemetery Ridge in an attempt to soften up the Union position. Unbeknownst to the Confederate artillerymen, their rounds overshot their intended targets and began to land around Meade’s headquarters causing substantial damage. Lydia Leister returned to her home after the battle to find 17 dead horses in her yard, all the hay was gone from her barn, and her fence rails had been burned.

See a Then and Now photograph of the Lydia Leister house here.
 
 

Last updated: January 12, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

1195 Baltimore Pike
Gettysburg, PA 17325

Contact Us