Great Kills Park is a 523 acre park located on the south shore of Staten Island. This site was created by Robert Moses and operated by New York City Department of Parks and Recreation between 1947 and 1972. Great Kills Park became part of the National Park Service in 1972 when Gateway National Recreation Area was established. Great Kills Park has several public recreation facilities including a beach center, a life-guarded beach, a multi-use path, hiking and biking trails, fishing areas, a marina and a boat launch. We offer ranger-led programs throughout the year. Visit our event calendar to see what's happening this week.
Parking to fish at Crooke's Point requires a permit. 2023 permits are sold ONLINE ONLY through www.recreation.gov from March 1- May 15. Find out more here.
If you want to know more about the Great Kills Park Environmental Cleanup Project please visit here.
Great Kills is open daily from from 6 am to 9 pm, except by permit.
Great Kills Marina: Moonbeam Great Kills Marina serves boaters at Great Kills Harbor. Call (718) 351-8476 for more information.
Great Kills Ranger Station: The Ranger Station is currently closed due to the pandemic.
Multi Use Path: Walk, run or bicycle along this path. About 1.5 miles either way.
Swimming Beach: Open from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
Boat Ramp: A permit is required for parking in this area. The 2023 permits areon sale ONLINE ONLY through www.recreation.gov. Find out more here.
- A Boat Launch Permit is required to park within the Boat Launch Parking Area .
- A boat trailer must be attached to your vehicle within the Boat Launch Parking Area.
- Boat Launch Parking is limited to 24 hours per visit.
- Commercial activity is prohibited.
- Personal watercraft, such as jet-skis, kayaks, canoes or any other personal watercraft are prohibited at the Great Kills Park Boat Launch.
- Verrrazano Narrows Bridge from Brooklyn or the Goethals or Bayonne Bridges from New Jersey to the Staten Island Expressway (Interstate 278).
- Take the Hylan Boulevard exit.
- Proceed south on Hylan Boulevard.
- Turn left at the entrance to Great Kills Park.
Take the S78 from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal or the S79 from 95th St & 4th Avenue (Brooklyn) to the park entrance on Hylan Blvd.