Permits & Reservations

On This Page Navigation


Special Use Permits (SUP)

First State National Historical Park is home to many beautiful rolling hills and winding creeks and rivers, which make it a popular place for weddings and special events. A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large and for activities that require some degree of management by the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest. Activities and events that require Special Use Permits include:

  • Stationary events at a single location for over 25 participants, such as picnics or family reunions

  • Events involving over 25 participants on trails and roads, such as walk-a-thons, running and bicycling events

  • Memorialization, such as scattering of ashes

  • Weddings

  • Commercial filming or photography

  • Sports events, public spectator attractions, pageants

  • First Amendment activities with more than 25 participants

Two people film the sun rising over the fields
Two people film the sun rising over the fields

NPS Photo

Filming/Photography Permits

Generally filming permits are required and are issued for photography, filming, and associated sound recording when they involve props, models, professional crews, and casts or set dressings.

Permits are issued to ensure the protection of resources and to prevent significant disruption of normal visitor uses. Permits are also required for access to areas normally closed to the visiting public.

The Use of Drones is Prohibited

Currently, the use of drones is prohibited in First State NHP and all National Parks. Detailed information about the policy is available here.

Two people pose for a photo while collect macroinvertebrates
Two people pose for a photo while collecting macroinvertebrates

NPS Photo

Scientific Research Permits

All studies in First State National Historical Park, large or small, must have their own Research & Collecting Permit which is obtained through a proposal and review process that requires approximately 90 days.

Last updated: March 18, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

New Castle Court House Museum
Attn: First State NHP
211 Delaware Street

New Castle, DE 19720


(302) 544-6363
This phone number is not staffed. You can leave a message on the park's main phone number (302-544-6363) and we will return your call as soon as possible. If you are visiting one of the seven sites, and need specific information, please refer to the "Places to Go" page for phone numbers and addresses of each site.

Contact Us