From 1846 to 1865, two large buildings stood on the western edge of the parade ground and provided housing for officers and their families. Unlike the cramped quarters of the enlisted men’s barracks, there was a degree of privacy here. Large front and back porches, yards, and gardens surrounded by picket fences provided domestic comforts for the officers. Fires destroyed both Officers’ Quarters in 1865 and 1870. In 200, the National Park Service placed concrete pads to show the approximate locations and floor plans of the two buildings.