The second Fort Smith was garrisoned from 1838 to 1871. While the fort was never needed for defense purposes it served as a training ground for soldiers in the War with Mexico and became a major supply depot for the U.S. Army. During the Civil War it was occupied by both forces.
Stories of the Second Fort
Last updated: April 10, 2015