The need to establish peace between the Osage and Cherokee led to the establishment of Fort Smith on the confluence of the Arkansas and Poteau Rivers.
- Site chosen by Major Stephen H. Long of the Topographical Engineers
- Fort Smith was established on December 25, 1817
- Commander was Major William Bradford
- Name after General Thomas Smith, Commander of U.S. Army Rifle Regiment
- Abandoned in 1824
- Archeologists uncovered the foundations we see today in the late 1950s