In 1838, fourteen years after the first fort was closed, a new garrison was built at Fort Smith. A massive defensive fort was never needed, and Fort Smith eventually served as a supply depot. After the Civil War, the fort had served its usefulness and was ordered closed in 1871.
People of Second Fort Smith (1838-1871)
Last updated: April 10, 2015