New Jail Wing c 1890
This is a rare image of the courthouse building, taken shortly after the new jail wing was added in 1888. By 1890, a new courthouse had been built on 6th Street. In the distance on the left-hand side this building is visible. Soon after the court moved to the new facility, the old courthouse was remodeled. The porches were removed and a second story was added. Most images of the building after the jail wing was built show the renovated courthouse.
This postcard has other interesting details. The gallows is seen on the far right. In front of the building is the jail wagon which was used to transport prisoners from the jail to the new courthouse.
To view additional postcards of the federal buildings, click on the small images on the right hand side.