At the end of the 19th century the Commissary was sold to a private owner. In 1910, a ladies' group acted to save the Commissary as a place to preserve the community's heritage. The Old Commissary Museum (later known as the Old Fort Museum) occupied the building for nearly 70 years, longer than either the army or the federal court.
This photo postcard shows the museum's sign on the building and two Civil War era cannons on the grounds. One of these cannons is still on the fort grounds and the other is on exhibit at the Fort Smith Museum of History (formerly known as the Old Fort Museum).
The postcard was published by McCann Photo Company, Fort Smith, Arkansas. Bob McCann's business was on Garrison Avenue in downtown Fort Smith and he published many postcards of the city.
The postcard below is a colorized, cropped version of his photograph of the Commissary.
The postcard above shows another view of the Commissary when it served as the museum.
Last updated: April 10, 2015