Permits & Reservations

In general, permits are needed whenever the possibility exists for disruption of visitor services, for damage to park resources, or if the activity is to take place in areas not open to the public or before or after normal visitation hours. Also, contact the Special Use Permit Coordinator for permission to commercially film park staff.

Examples where a permit is required include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Weddings
  • Filming and photography involving models, props, or extensive equipment
  • Special events
  • Scientific studies or other research
  • Commercial Use

  • Permitting for Fort Matanzas is handled by the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument Special Use Permit Coordinator. e-mail: Special Use Coordinator.

Specific Information for Fort Matanzas --

Weddings - No weddings may be held at the fort or on Rattlesnake Island. Locations which have been used in the past include the boardwalk nature trail, the picnic area, ocean beach, and river beach.


Long Application

Other Permits --

Commercial Use Authorization - All businesses who wholly or partly provide commercial services at the parks must obtain a commercial use authorization. Click here for more information and application.

Special Events - Only events that have a meaningful association with the park or contribute to visitor understanding of the significance of the park will be permitted.

Short Application

Long Application

Still Photography

When is a permit needed?

Price v. Barr had no impact on how the National Park Service regulates still photography, so there are no changes in how the National Park Service regulates that activity. Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. the activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. a park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

How do I apply for a permit?

Permit applications are available through each park's administrative office or website. Contact information for parks can be found on their websites; visit Find a Park to locate the park where you would like to photograph. You should submit a completed application along with the application fee to the park where you want to film or photograph as far in advance of your planned date as possible. In addition, you should request a meeting with park staff if your proposed activity is unusual or complex. Early consultation with park staff will help them process the submitted application in a timely manner.

What fees will I have to pay?

The National Park Service will collect a cost recovery charge and a location fee for still photography permits. Cost recovery includes an application fee and any additional charges to cover the costs incurred by the National Park Service in processing your request and monitoring your permit. This amount will vary depending on the park and the size and complexity of your permit. The application fee must be submitted with your application.

In addition, the National Park Service has been directed by Congress to collect a fee to provide a fair return to the United States for the use of park lands. The National Park Service uses the following still photography fee schedule:

  • 1–10 people - $50/day
  • 11–30 people - $150/day
  • Over 30 people - $250/day

Are there other permit requirements?

You may be required to obtain liability insurance naming the United States as additionally insured in an amount commensurate with the risk posed to park resources by your proposed activity. You may also be asked to post a bond to ensure the payment of all charges and fees and the restoration of the area if necessary.

Research - A permit is required for any collection of data or physical items. Contact the Natural Resource Specialist for more information.

For questions regarding any of these special use permits at Fort Matanzas, e-mail the Fort Matanzas National Monument Special Use Coordinator.

School Group Reservations:

Education groups and partner orginzations are welcome. Please call the park at 904 471-0116 to make a reservation. For more information see the "For Teachers" page.

Last updated: March 24, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

8635 A1A South
Saint Augustine, FL 32080


904 471-0116

Contact Us