Places

First Fort Davis: 1854-1862

On October 23, 1854, the Commander of the Department of Texas, General Persifor F. Smith, issued the official order that established Fort Davis. Smith named the site in honor of then Secretary of War Jefferson Davis.

 

Second Fort Davis: 1867-1891

After the Civil War, travel continued on the San Antonio-El Paso Road and so did raiding by Comanches and Apaches, which resulted in the Army re-establishing Fort Davis.

Last updated: February 24, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 1379
101 Lt. Flipper Dr. #1379

Fort Davis , TX 79734

Phone:

(432) 426-3224

Contact Us