Fire Island Lighthouse

The black and white stripes of the Fire Island Lighthouse stand out against a clear sky.

Rich Maritime History

For decades, the first evidence of land for travelers crossing the vast Atlantic Ocean from Europe was the Fire Island Lighthouse. Completed in 1858 near the site of its 1826 predecessor, the current Fire Island Light is still a beacon attracting thousands of people each year. With a focal plane of 168 feet above the level of the sea, can be seen more than 20 miles away. Learn more about the lighthouse's history and how the National Park Service works to protect maritime heritage and lighthouses.

Accessible Year-Round by Car (Take Robert Moses Parkway)

The Fire Island Lighthouse is on the western part of Fire Island National Seashore, adjacent to Robert Moses State Park. The Fire Island Lighthouse area offers exhibits, a nature trail, interpretive programs and curriculum-based fourth grade education programs (school groups by reservation only). There is walking access to the Lighthouse Beach (no lifeguards).

The Fire Island Lighthouse is operated by the Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society under a cooperative agreement with the National Park Service. The light, still owned by the United States Coast Guard, is now maintained and operated by the Society as a private aid to navigation.


Open daily. Tower tour availability depends on volunteer presence. Please call 631-661-4876.

Tower Tour Fees

  • Adults: $8
  • Seniors (65+), Children, Active Military: $4
  • FILPS Members: $2

Contact Info

Fire Island Lighthouse

GPS Coordinates

Latitude, 40° 37' 53" North
Longitude, 73° 12' 51" West


Last updated: August 22, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

120 Laurel Street
Patchogue, NY 11772


(631) 687-4750

Contact Us