|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Paula Valentine, 631-687-4759
All Fire Island National Seashore facilities remain closed following the landfall of Hurricane Sandy on Monday evening, October 29, 2012. Damage assessments are still underway, and all access to Fire Island is prohibited, even by private boat. Both the Town of Islip and the Town of Brookhaven and Suffolk County have extended their mandatory evacuation orders for Fire Island.
- Town of Islip: Fire Island Not Ready for Reoccupation (Friday, November 2, 2012)
- Town of Brookhaven: Executive Order for Mandatory Evacuation of Fire Island Extended (Friday, November 2, 2012)
- Suffolk County, New York: Suffolk County Executive Declares State of Emergency and Mandatory Evacuation (Saturday, October 27, 2012)
Additional information and updates will be provided when available.
- Post-Hurricane Sandy: What's Happening on Fire Island
- NPS Superstorm Sandy Response on Facebook
- SandyResponseNPS on Twitter
Hurricane Sandy impacted three National Park Service regions and nearly 70 parks. Follow updates as each comes back on line.