|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Paula Valentine, 631-687-4759
Contact: Irene Rosen, 631-687-4765
Some of Fire Island National Seashore's special programs for the remainder of November and for December 2009 are already filled, but additional tours and activities still have plenty of room for more participants.
The Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society (FILPS) is offering several evening tower tours and other holiday activities, as well as routine tours at the Fire Island Lighthouse. FILPS operates the lighthouse under an agreement with Fire Island National Seashore, and program fees help support this operation and keep the Fire Island Lighthouse open all year. (Call 631-661-4876 for more information.)
The Old Mastic House at Fire Island National Seashore's William Floyd Estate closes for the season on November 15, but several special grounds tours and walks will be offered this fall and winter. MaryLaura Lamont is leading a late autumn bird walk on November 22. The program is free, but reservations are requested. (Phone 631-399-2030)
A number of children's programs and activities will be offered during November and December at the Wilderness Visitor Center, including a new Junior Ranger program workshop. (Phone 631-281-3010)
Each of these programs can help people gain a better understanding of Fire Island National Seashore and its diverse resources, and facilitate an opportunity to explore the park in each of its seasons.
A complete list of current programs may be found on the park's home page at www.nps.gov/fiis.
- Wednesday, November 11, 9:30 am – 3 pm: Veterans Appreciation Day - Fire Island Lighthouse Free tower tours for all veterans with ID!
- Friday, November 13, 7 pm: Star Watch: A Night of Astronomy – Wilderness Visitor Center (Free program; call for directions/information 631-281-3010) Led by a guest speaker, the whole family will enjoy a captivating slide show and a viewing of the night skies by telescope. Dress for the weather!
- Saturday, November 14, 9 am: Light Keepers Behind-the-Scenes Tour - Fire Island Lighthouse ($15 Fee; reservations required, limited to 12: call 631-661-4876) Follow present day lighthouse keeper on his rounds, and learn about duties from the past on this top to bottom tour.
- Sunday November 22, 9 – 11:30 am: Late Autumn Bird Walk - William Floyd Estate (Free program; call for directions/information 631-399-2030) 2-mile stroll through the woods and fields to watch for late fall birdlife. Dress for the weather and bring binoculars.
- Friday November 27, 9 am – Noon: After-Thanksgiving Wilderness Hike - Wilderness Visitor Center (Free program; call for directions/information 631-281-3010) Join ranger for a guided 3–mile round–trip hike on the beach and into federal wilderness area.
- Saturday November 28, 10 am - 3 pm: Tree Trimming Event - Fire Island Lighthouse (Free program; call for directions/information 631-661-4876) Kick off the holiday season by helping decorate the traditional lighthouse tree with a handmade ornament relating to the sea, nature or lighthouse. Free hot chocolate and cookies!
- Saturday November 28, 4 pm: Evening Tower Tour - Fire Island Lighthouse ($15 Fee; reservations required: call 631-661-4876) Experience the lighthouse at night while working off some of those holiday calories. Moonrise 1:47 pm, sunset 4:27 pm.
- Saturday November 28, 2009, 2 – 3 pm: Children’s Hour: Seaside Stories and Crafts – Wilderness Visitor Center (Free program; call for directions/information 631-281-3010) Have fun while learning about the natural world of Fire Island. Geared for kids ages 5 - 7, but all are welcome!
- Sunday November 29, 2009, Noon: Junior Ranger Workshop: Exploring the Wilderness – Wilderness Visitor Center (Free program; call for directions/information 631-281-3010) Discover the nature and value of wilderness. Dress for the weather and be prepared for a 1½ mile hike. Kids ages 8 - 12!