Paso las Islas, Maverick County, Guerrero, Coahuila, Mexico
Paso las Islas, on the Rio Grande about one mile below the more famous Paso de Francia, was one of the fords that served Spanish travelers between Mission San Juan Bautista and the Texas settlements. At that point the river spreads out in shallow branches that flow among several islands (Islas). Although Paso las Islas has occasionally been confused with Paso de Francia, it is recognized as a different location. It is the farthest downstream of five such fords within five miles of San Juan Bautista.
Time period: late 1600s-1836
Last updated: February 24, 2015