Mission Nuestra Señora Mission de los Dolores de los Ais, San Augustine County, Texas
First established in January of 1717, this mission was abandoned in 1719 with the advent of hostilities between Spain and France. When the mission was reestablished in August 1722, Father Antonio Margil de Jesús moved it east of the previous site—near a stream and a large tract of level land that could be used for cultivation.
Recent archeological research located the site on a hill next to Ayish Bayou within the present city limits of San Augustine. Investigations have revealed everyday life at Mission Dolores. Cow and ox bones, common in the excavated trash pits, give clues on butchering techniques and preferred cuts of meat. Gun flints, broken knife blades, and horse trappings were probably associated with the soldier guards living at the mission. Pieces of broken Indian-made pottery are plentiful. It would appear that the inhabitants relied heavily on locally made utensils.
The property is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a state historic landmark.
Time period: 1717–1773
A Photographic Journey of the Trail - NEXT IMAGE
Last updated: February 24, 2015