Edgar Allan Poe NHS – Accessibility information
For People with Mobility Impairments:
- The first floor of the neighbor’s house which has exhibits is accessible via a ramp. The entrance to the accessible ramp is just to the right of the front door. New exhibits have been installed These will include an photo album with pictures of each room in the historic house.
- A paved sidewalk runs along 3 sides of the Poe Site. There is a wayside exhibit to the left of the entrance.
- The restrooms are not accessible.
For People with Hearing Impairments:
- The film at the Poe Site has open captions.
- Assisted listening devices are available for the film and ranger tours.
- There is a printed self guided tour sheet available for the historic Poe house.
- There are printed copies of Poe’s poetry and stories available to read in the Reading Room.
- American Sign Language interpretation is available by request. Please call 215-597-7130 at least 14 days prior to your visit.
For People with Sight Impairments:
- Rangers are available to describe the exhibits, give a tour of the Poe house and answer questions.
- The reading room has audio cassettes of Poe’s poems and short stories available to the public.
- Our new exhibits include audio descriptions.
- There is a tactile model of the historic Poe house, the addition and his neighbors house with the new exhibits.