Permits for special access to Park

Filming - Special Use - Commercial Use

Filming Permits - The vast, unspoiled panorama of Everglades National Park and the pristine marine environment of Dry Tortugas National Park (with historic Fort Jefferson) offer photographers and filmmakers unique opportunities for capturing the natural world on film. However, the Congressional acts establishing these parks places a two-fold responsibility upon the National Park Service to protect the natural and cultural resources and to provide for the visitors' enjoyment of them.

While commercial filming operations are permitted, there are restraints imposed upon these activities. Under P.L. 106-206 all commercial filming requires a permit and is subject to a location fee and cost recovery.

Commercial filming is defined as digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience, such as a documentary, television or feature film, news segment (not breaking news) advertisement, or similar project.

Prior approval from the Superintendent, in the form of a film permit, is required before any work can commence. All filming activities must be in compliance with the general regulations for Everglades National Park and Dry Tortugas National Park. Filming activities are coordinated through the Chief Ranger’s Office at Everglades National Park, 40001 State Road 9336, Homestead, Florida 33034-6733 (telephone 305-242-7744 or 305-242-7730). You can contact the Film Permit Officer through this e-mail link with any questions.

To minimize delays, applications for filming permits should be submitted at least two weeks in advance. Application form is available in the weblink below and may be faxed to (305) 242-7716.

Information on filming in Dry Tortugas National Park (pdf 39kb)

Application (pdf 708 kb)

Special Use Permits - Special Park Use Permits are required for short-term activities that take place in the park area which provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large; require written authorization and some degree of management control from the NPS in order to protect park resources and the public interest; and are not prohibited by law or regulation.

Examples of special park uses include weddings, first-amendment activities, events such as a bike race or meeting, group activities (groups of 20 or more participants) and non-profit organization activities.

For further information, please contact the Permit Coordinator at 305-242-7744 or click here to e-mail. The application can be accessed with a direct link below.

Application for Special Park Use

Commercial Use Authorizations Section 418 of the National Parks Omnibus Management Act of 1998, Public Law 105-391 (Section 418), authorizes NPS, upon request, to issue commercial use authorizations to provide commercial services to park area visitors in limited circumstances. Permits in the form of Commercial Use Authorizations for these activities are required.

Commercial Use Authorizations are issued for two year periods. The next application process will begin in the Fall of 2011 for the two year period commencing 2012. The announcement and application package will be found on the Management page, under Doing Business with the Park.

Last updated: April 14, 2015

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

40001 SR-9336
Homestead, FL 33034


305 242-7700

Contact Us