Permits & Reservations

Special Park Use Permits (SUP) are for activities that take place within a national park outside typical and ordinary visitor use. These events may include gatherings and activities such as weddings, sporting events, and sales. Special Park Use activities inside the park require written authorization from the National Park Service in the form of a Special Use Permit, or a Commercial Use Authorization before the event or activity takes place.

Not all activities are appropriate for a national park, our regulations outline permissible actions. Criteria for activities as well as answers to many questions about permits are available on this website, or if you still have questions, please contact the Permit Office, Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00PM Eastern Time at 937-225-7705.

Permit Applications

Permit applications must be submitted at least three weeks and up to six months, before to the proposed event. Your application must include a non-refundable payment for the costs of processing the application. Please submit your payment as a check or money order made out to the National Park Service. The payment is $45.00. Additional charges may also apply. Submitting an application does not guarantee the activity will be approved.

How do I apply for a permit?

Permit application for event or request.

Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

Effective October 28, 2022, the National Park Service (NPS) has rescinded interim guidance that was in place during litigation regarding commercial filming and has returned to longstanding laws and regulations governing commercial filming in parks.

The most current information on low-impact and non-low impact filming can be found Filming & Still Photography Permits (U.S. National Park Service) (

Still Photography

When is a permit needed?

Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. The activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. The activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. A park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

How do I apply for a permit?

You should submit a completed application along with the application fee to the park where you want to film or photograph as far in advance of your planned date as possible. In addition, you should request a meeting with park staff if your proposed activity is unusual or complex. Early consultation with park staff will help them process the submitted application in a timely manner. Still Photography Permit applications are below.

CFSPermit applications for simple event.

CFSPermit application for complex event.

Are there other permit requirements?

You may be required to obtain liability insurance naming the United States as additionally insured in an amount commensurate with the risk posed to park resources by your proposed activity. You may also be asked to post a bond to ensure the payment of all charges and fees and the restoration of the area if necessary.

If you are not sure your activity needs a permit, which application to use or have other questions, please contact the DAAV Special Park Use Coordinator, Tamara Moore at 937-225-7705.


First Amendment Demonstration Area

Visit the park's First Amendment Demonstration Area page for a detailed map of the free speech area, information about the use of the free speech area and whether or not groups need a permit to assemble in the designated free speech area.

Last updated: April 15, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

16 South Williams Street
Dayton, OH 45402


937 225-7705

Contact Us