UNITED STATES COLORED TROOPS
35th Regiment, United States Colored Infantry
Organized February 8, 1864, from 1st North Carolina Colored Infantry. Attached
to Montgomery's Brigade, District of Florida, Dept. of the South, February,
1864. 2nd Brigade, Vogdes' Division, District of Florida, Dept. of the South,
to April, 1864. District of Florida, Dept. of the South, to October, 1864.
4th Separate Brigade, Dept. of the South, to November, 1864. 2nd Brigade,
Coast Division, Dept. of the South, to December, 1864. 4th Separate Brigade,
Dept. of the South, to March, 1865. 1st Separate Brigade, Dept. of the South,
to August, 1865. Dept. of the South, to June, 1866.
- Expedition to Lake City, Fla., February 14-22, 1864. Battle of
20. Duty at Jacksonville, Fla., till November. Operations on St. Johns River
May 19-27. Horse Head Landing May 23. (Four Companies detached on Expedition
to James Island, S. C., July 1-10. King's Creek, S. C., July 3.) Raid from
Jacksonville upon Baldwin July 23-28. South Fork, Black Creek, July 24. Black
Creek near Whitesides July 27. Raid on Florida Railroad August 15-19. Ordered
from Jacksonville to Hilton Head, S. C., November 25, Expedition to Boyd's
Neck November 28-30. Battle of
Honey Hill November
30. Return to Jacksonville, Fla., and duty there till March, 1865. Ordered
to Charleston, S. C. Duty there and at various points in the Dept. of the
South till June, 1866. Mustered out June 1, 1866.
Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 49 Enlisted men killed and mortally
wounded and 1 Officer and 151 Enlisted men by disease. Total 205.
NORTH CAROLINA VOLUNTEERS.
1st REGIMENT INFANTRY (AFRICAN DESCENT).
Organized at New Berne, N.C., and Portsmouth, Va., June 30, 1863. Attached to Wild's African Brigade, U.S. Forces, Folly Island, S.C., 10th Army Corps, Dept. of the South, to December, 1863. 3rd Brigade, Vodge's Division, Folly Island, S.C., to February, 1864.
- Transferred from Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina to Folly Island, S.C., July 29-August 9. Operations on Folly and Morris Islands against Fort Sumpter and Charleston, S.C., till February, 1864. Moved to Jacksonville, Fla., February 13-16. (A detachment at New Berne, N.C., and participated in raid on Wilmington & Weldon Railroad July 3-7, 1863. Ford's Mill near New Berne October 30. Near Greenville November 25 and December 30.) (A detachment at Portsmouth, Va., and participated in Expedition from Portsmouth to South Mills, Camden, etc., December 5-24, 1863.) Designation of Regiment changed to 35th U.S. Colored Troops February 8, 1864 (which see).
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »