Early in his career in 1894, Charles Young received a detached service assignment as an instructor of military science and tactics at Wilberforce University. He developed the curriculum and served as a role model for the young men in the program. In 1907, the Young's purchased a large house about a mile from the campus which he later named "Youngsholm." The house was built in 1839 and was once used as a stop on the Underground Railroad. Young's residence quickly became the social hub for friends, university colleagues and even strangers alike. Frequent and notable visitors from around the area often visited the house. Although his military career took him across the globe, Young considered "Youngsholm" his sanctuary where he raised a family, mentored a successive generation of leaders, and found intellectual refuge. Even after his untimely death, "Youngsholm" would remain in the Young family for over another half century.