|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Russ Bodnar, (505) 786-7014 x 240
Contact: Barbara West, (505) 78607014 x 230
Proposed Recreation Fee Increaseat Chaco Culture National Historical Park with an Implementation Date of June 1, 2008
Chaco Culture National Historical Park proposes to increase the park entrance fees to $15.00 for private vehicles and $7.00 for individuals beginning June 1, 2008. The park currently charges an $8.00 entrance fee for private vehicles and a $4.00 entrance fee for individuals.
The fees go directly to the park to maintain park facilities and enhance visitor experiences. The following are examples of projects funded by these fees:
- Install a protective sprinkler fire suppression system for the park visitor center and museum..
- Repair and restore the backcountry hiking trail to Peñasco Blanco which has experienced serious erosion.
- Provide funding for the park’s Administrative History to chronicle 100 years of preservation and protection of Chaco. The history will be published and information from it will contribute to publications for park visitors.
- Provide opportunities for park staff to visit local and regional schools to promote the importance of the park and the NPS.
- Provide new museum exhibits at the park visitor center to celebrate the Chacoan people and their contributions to world history.
- Provide funding for special events at the park, in local communities, and in the region.
Park Superintendent Barbara West said “We believe the fee increase is a reasonable charge, is in keeping with rates at similar parks, and will greatly enhance visitor experience and address backlogged maintenance needs.”
The park is accepting comments regarding this proposal. The public may direct its comments to:
Barbara West, Superintendent
Chaco Culture NHP
Nageezi, NM 8703