ATV use is only allowed on North and South Core Banks within the boundaries of Cape Lookout National Seashore. For the safety of all visitors, the National Park Service has long established rules regarding the riding of ATVs on the islands.
National Park Service Riding Rules:
- All ATV drivers must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
- Only utility ATVs may be ridden within the park -- no sport models
- ATVs may only be ridden on
- designated trails
- the open oceanside beach seaward of the dunes and down to the tide line
- ATVs may not be ridden within an area closed for the protection of nesting birds and their young or for the protection of sea turtle nests.
- Posted speed limits also apply to ATVs.
- ATVs left unattended for 24 hours or more must be parked in one of the designated parking areas and must display a valid parking permit.
- Information and the parking permit application can be found on the Long-Term Parking Permits page.